Massage Safety When Traveling
Vacations bring a sense of relaxation, pampering and extravagance that we just can’t get at home. Whether your perfect getaway is spent relaxing on a sandy white beach or exploring the far reaches of the world, massages are a vacation staple for many travelers. When receiving a massage overseas, there are certain precautions to take to avoid simple misunderstandings or even more serious safety issues that could ruin your perfect getaway.
- Research the types of massage offered in the country you are visiting, so you know what to expect.
- A basic understanding of the country’s language would be helpful to avoid embarrassing misunderstandings.
- Learn if tipping is expected and, if so, how much.
- Tell your travel companion where you are going for the massage, the start time and the anticipated time of your exit. Have them call you if you are more than 10 minutes late.
- Use common sense when choosing the location. A high traffic area would be preferred to out-of-the-way establishments.
- Keep a heightened sense of awareness of your surroundings.